Walkers, wheelchairs, canes… the aftermath from a good leg workout can warrant all of the above. While women tend to relish in their squats and deadlifts, men keep to the bench, focusing solely on their glamour muscles, often encouraging muscle imbalances that contribute to bad posture. So this one is for all the guys out there; here are five reasons leg day must be a weekly occurrence:
- Metabolism: The thighs and glutes account for a huge chunk of our body's musculature. By developing these muscles, we tap into the greater potential of our bodies to burn more calories at rest. Who wouldn't want that?
- Balance: Few things will take you out of the gym, but injury is probably one of them. If your chesticles are the only thing you work on and your lower body is less nimble, a fall is more likely to result in twisted ankles, sprains, and even broken bones.
- Testosterone: Every time we work out, our bodies release testosterone. More testosterone means more muscle development. The bigger the muscle group, the more testosterone. Translation: leg day can lead to bigger pecs. (Ladies, no fear, we don't have nearly as much testosterone so we naturally don't get as big.)
- Symmetry: Let’s be honest, many lift and diet for aesthetics. Nothing goes better with killer pecs, six pack abs, and cannonball biceps than some seriously muscular legs.
- Booty: A nice booty looks good on men AND women.
For a quick look at how it’s done, check out Josh’s routine!